Friday, May 25, 2007

Pirates!

Arr, 'tis true I seen ye pirates Aye!

Yep that's right, tonight, I went to see Opera Australia's production of The Pirates of Penzance. Anthony Warlow did a great rendition of the Pirate King, taking his cue from Johny Depp in that"other" Pirates. It was almost as if Anthony Warlow was playing Johnny Depp, playing Captain Jack Sparrow, Playing The Pirate King. In fact, he did the same in HMS Pinafore last year and The Mikado the year before, but I guess that just goes to show how formulaic Gilbert and Sullivan are. David Hobson did a good job as Frederick, and the rest of the cast was great too. Special mention goes to Reg Livermore as Majpr General Stanley, Suzanne Johnstone as Ruth, Taryn Fiebig as Mabel and Shane Lowrencecev as The Sergeant of police.

Scenery was sparse, but the props were well used. Captions were also used which helped with understanding some of the faster songs. I'm still not sure where exactly all those syllables fit in. In fact in one part the caption just read "Too much information, just look at the stage".

I enjoyed it.


Hopefully I'll get to see that"other" pirates soon.

No comments: