Sunday, April 01, 2007

That time of the year again.

The footy season has begun. Now before I go too far I'd better state my alegences. I'm one of the most hated of all football supporters. Yes, that's right, I barrack for Collingwood, and damn proud of it. I was born into it, and grew up in an area where most, well every second person at least, barracks for Collingwood. Although I say I barrack for them, but I'm just not that into footy, I've never played (never will), and I definitely don't know all the ins and outs of the game as well as some of my friends do, and I'm a bit hopeless at players names and numbers. Never the less I enjoy watching my team play.

This brings us to yesterday. Earlier in the week we arranged to go to the footy, after meeting under the clocks we made out way to Transport for a quick drink and one of their semi famous $10 over the bar steak sandwiches, yum. Having satisfied our hunger we made our way to the 'G' via Barak Bridge to watch the Magpies take on the Kangaroos.

What an utterly boring game that was, the only redeeming feature being that Collingwood had a bit of a resurgence in the fourth quarter to win by 3 points. The game was a comedy of errors, both teams making stupid mistakes, overall the Kangaroos were the better team, but their cause wasn't helped by hitting the post from 15 meters out, straight in front of the goals. I daydreamed through the whole 3rd quarter. zZZ...

We started the game in the new "Ponsford" stand but it too cold so we moved over the Great Southern Stand at half time, whereI got sunburnt. It was interesting to note how cramped the southern stand feels in comparison to the new stand. I prefer the new one even if it doesn't get the sun.

After the game we retired to the Imperial Tavern on the corner of Bourke and Spring for a few drinks. It was interesting watching all the bridal parties come and go on the steps of Parliament over the road. We came to the conclusion that bridesmaids dresses really are designed to make the bride look good, even if she does look like a marang. We had a few beers and before we knew it, it was 7pm and time to go our separate ways.

It was a good day all up, and one thing I learned was never to knock back a win, no matter how bad your team plays.

No comments: