Sunday, October 11, 2009

Still There

Hi all, greetings from the city by the bay. San Francisco. I've been here for four days now and I've got to say I like it. SF reminds me of Melbourne, a lot. First thing I saw when I emerged into the street after taking the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) train from the airport were tram tracks and wires, then I realised I was standing next to a Westfield shopping centre. Market Street could easily pass for Bourke Street or Collins Street. It was uncanny.

This city is really cool. Both figuratively and literally. Firstly the people have a certain laidback attitude (that's cali for you), but they dress really well. There is definite arts scene a lot like Melbourne too.

Secondly the other reason the city is cool is beacause it is. The weather here is really deceptive.It turns out the first couple of days I was here it was unseasonably warm. A quote sticks in the back of my mind, I'm not sure who said it, someone like Charles Dicken's, Mark Twain etc said something along the lines of "The coldest winter I have ever endured was a summer in San Francisco". Even though it is October, into the "Fall", I highly agree.

The reason it is so cold as I have found out is that the water current off the coast comes straight from Alaska, this is also the reason it is so foggy here at any time of year. Warm air on land heats up and rises, which in turn suck in cold moist air from the sea, when it gets near land it fogs up. I've only seen the whole Golden Gate Bridge really well once. Then it got foggy.

In SF this week it is fleet week, which is an anual event when the navy is welcomed into town. I've been watching the US Navy practicing for this weekends air displays over the past few days. only today the display was canceled due to fog.

That's about it for now gotta go find some dinner. It's about 830 on Saturday evening.

No comments: