Sunday, February 17, 2008

Smokey

So I am sitting here eating my breakfast and all I can smell is smoke. I look outside and the sky is that murky smoke colour that you get during bush fire. It's not far away either. I haven't worked out which way the wind is going. I suspect that it will be the bushland along the Plenty River.

Last Saturday morning the Chemist shop in Main Street Greensborough was gutted by fire, saw it only a few hours after, but before the clean up had begun. The windows were smashed and the inside was black. By Monday the front was covered in sheet metal and what was left of the destroyed awning at the front had been removed so it was now safe to walk past on the footpath, the smell remained. Don't know if it was deliberately lit or not.

It is also the 25th anniversary of the Ash Wednesday bush fires that ravaged large areas of Victoria and South Australia.


EDIT 10:27 AM: just heard on the radio that the smoke is coming from a fire near Mathoura in south western NSW.

No comments: