Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Scottish Comet

Comet McNaught- 24/01/2007

Last Tuesday and Wednesday evenings I took a number of photos of the Scottish comet (aka McNaught). The only problem is that most of the photos were longish exposures of between 6 and 15 seconds and as far as I can tell the longer ones at 15 seconds show the beginnings of star of a star trail effect. Who'd have thought the earth rotates that far in 15 seconds? I'm about 80% sure it's not camera shake, because I used the 10 second timer to trigger the shutter on the camera which was mounted on a tripod on a solid surface, and kept well away while the shutter was open. Basically I think I need an SLR with a pretty fast lens for this sort of thing (a good "pro-sumer" camera would probably produce much better results as well).

Oh right, the comet? It was pretty good...

No comments: